Address:84, D. Guramishvili Ave.,
Tbilisi, Georgia, 0141
JSC “Elmavalmshenebeli” proposes collaboration
Time goes by, new leaders come to work, political systems take changes, only the attitude of people to their profession stays unchangeable, the affair to which the whole life is sometimes devoted. On 5 March 1933 in the capital of Georgia on the locomotive repairing plant the start of building electric locomotives in Tbilisi was made. The initiator and the first manager of electric locomotive repairing workshop of the plant became Sh. Logua - in the future the famous electrical engineer of the USSR, еру Hero of Socialist Labour, the holder of a number of orders and medals. The life of the factory - is the history of several generations, the history of inestimable labour of many thousands of employees. This is the history of creating of freight electric locomotives of direct current, these are the deserving designs and qualitative realization, this is the necessity for Russian railways. We asked chief engineer of the plant D.N. Bolashvili to speak about the history of the plant, about the people which created this enterprise.
…In 1939 owing to the expansion of electric locomotive repairing workshop it was decided to remove the total steam locomotive and coach repairing plant to the suburb of the city and to make its reconstruction at the same time. Kharkov institute “Transzavodproekt” together with Tbilisi specialists finished the project in 1942 and in the second half of this year the building of a new steam locomotive and coach repairing plant was started. In 1945 electric locomotive repairing shop of the plant under the reconstruction was the first in the USSR to modernize the motor-van train for voltage of 3000 V. In the beginning of 1947 Ministry of railways of the USSR decided to speed up the building of the plant and instead of steam locomotive and coach repairing plant to organize locomotive repairing plant for the expansion of the repair of electric locomotives, electric trains, diesel locomotives and diesel trains for Transcaucasian railways and other railways of the USSR. Locomotive repairing plant was put into service on the 1 of July 1949.
On the initiative of the chief engineer of locomotive repairing plant (LRP) A.A. Masharashvili employees proposed to organize the building of electric locomotives on the repairing plant.
In 1957 Council of Ministers of the USSR complied with a request of employees of locomotive repairing plant and resolved to change repairing plant into electric locomotive repairing plant. That’s why instead of the previous name “LRP” (Locomotive repairing plant) the name “TELP” (Tbilisi electric locomotive plant) went down in history. On 30 of December of the same year the plant issued the first electric locomotive N8-201.
The serial production of electric locomotives was started dew to considerable changes of production technology, application of new machinery and progressive methods of work. The reconstruction of tool-making, apparatus and electrical machines workshops, reorganization of other departments was rapidly started. Works on the second industrial building with apparatus and sectionalized coil workshops were started and also on a four-storeyed building for special design bureau (SDB) of the plant. In 1958 alongside with rolling stock repair fourteen main line electric locomotives were constructed. Since 1959 the enterprise completely specialized on manufacture of the main line electric locomotives.
During the first half of 1958 the following units of electric locomotive were mastered: traction electric motor, auxiliary machines, start-regulating mechanisms, parts of protection devices, current collector and others - about 1000 units and details. About 250.000 units and details of electric locomotives (about 80 % of required quantity) were mastered during the first decade of the existence of the plant. Several workshops were expanded, metalwork shop was established. The former repairing plant was rapidly turning into the modern industrial enterprise. From 1957 to 1959 number of the industrial workers grew almost twice. Great attention was given to the improvement of their professional skills.
The role of the former chief engineer A. A. Masharashvili must be especially mentioned. A.A.Masharashvili's life and work is closely connected with the history of electric locomotive engineering development in Georgia. From the brigade-leader of electric installers of Hashur locomotive depot up to the chief engineer of Tbilisi electric locomotive plant and the chief of an electric coach repairing plant – this is the life history of the talented engineer.
The appearance of the first Georgian electric locomotive N8-201, developing of main line electric locomotives VL8r, VL8v, VL10 is connected with his name.
Apollon Andreevich has given the first encouraging incentive to the enthusiasm and scientific and technical progress on electric locomotive plant and it was affecting on the activity of the industrial workers and design bureau during many years.
In 1966 the first in the world electric locomotive VL-8B with sampled-data control for voltage of 6000 V and 3000 V in contact system was constructed. Later 6 more electric locomotives VL-22I were constructed.
In December, 1967 the plant constructed the last locomotive of VL8 series. As well as its predecessor, it had a steel armour welded by the Russian workers and wheels shaped by the Ukrainian workers on Lugansk diesel locomotive plant. It had a number of materials and details received almost from all parts of the USSR. For such complex manufacture as, electric locomotive building cannot exist without cooperation, without a wide network of technical communications. It shall be noted, that exactly the breach of these communications was the main reason of the failure in operation of the plant after disintegration of the USSR.
The last VL8 began to work, and new eight-axle main line electric locomotives VL10, which were 25% more powerful, came up to take its place.
To increase production efficiency and improve production quality a number of the important organizational technical actions was carried out: modernization of main units of electric locomotives was carried out, heating system of locomotive-driver cabin was strengthened, protection of traction engines against moisture and snow was improved, installations for mechanized moulding of electric machines anchors and varnish covering of electric technical steel were put into operation. The production line for electric locomotive assembly was constructed in assembly shop.
Advanced machines were put in operation in many areas. The depot of complex tests and adjustments of electric locomotives in all operating conditions was built with reliable and exact electric mechanical scales, which provide adjustment of mechanical part of electric locomotives for the complete use of capacity.
1970 became the year of putting into production an industrial coke-quenching electric locomotive EK-13 under engineering specifications of Murom diesel locomotive plant. It made the plant well-known abroad. The first EK13 were sent to Turkey, India, Poland, Bulgaria, Rumania and Czech Republic.
Later the work with the new industrial electric locomotive of EK-14 series with technical and economic characteristics improved many times began. It also expanded the import of the Soviet electric locomotives.
In the first quarter of 1973 the first pre-production model of industrial coke-quenching electric locomotive EK-14 with remote control and thyristor drive was engineered. It provides high operating reliability, possibility of automatic control and precise stabilization of technological speeds which are produced for serving powerful coke batteries of metallurgical plants.
In 1971 one more type of production was mastered - loader for materials-handling mechanization – electric loader-piler ESH-186 (later with improved construction ESH-186M), which were used not only in the USSR, but were also sent to Hungary, Yugoslavia, Turkey, Yemen, Iraq, India. ESH-186 took part in international exhibitions in Budapest, Bucharest, Brno, Leipcig more than once.
In September, 1974 Ministry of Railways approved the RFP for creating a new main freight electric locomotive VL11, which could work in multi-system configuration. Creation of such electric locomotive allowed to manipulate the section quantity – traction ability of electric locomotive, and to provide through passage of heavier freight rolling-stocks along the freight tensed direction.
Multisection VL11 it is capable to conduct rolling-stocks with a double weight, it provides better maneuverability, formation of heavier freight trains. There is anti emergency system which allows to use the remained part of a serviceable electric equipment at a failure of its separate part. It provides high reliability and convenience in use of electric locomotives on the freight tensed direction of railways.
However the plant was not satisfied with it, and its design bureau (SDB) developed the project of the most powerful in the world electric locomotive of direct current of VL15 type. From 1985 till now it is successfully used on freight tensed parts of Russian railways. The electric locomotive has 9000 Kwatt capacity, is equipped with thyristor drive and modern electronic system for automatic process of electric braking. It makes the locomotive more economical and reliable.
During the growth of manufacture the floor space of the plant was being extended. At first the territory of 47 hectares was provided for the plant construction (in 1942), in 1977 it was already 99 thousand square meters. Now it makes 170 thousand square meters.
The workshops of the plant: electric locomotive assembly workshop, electrical machine workshop, instrumental workshop, body workshop, bogie workshop, forge workshop, foundry, toolroom, lathe with numerical program control workshop, stamp workshop, experimental workshop, powder metallurgy workshop, welding-assembly room, mechanical workshop, repair-mechanical workshop, electric-repairing workshop, wood-manufacturing workshop, power workshop, transport workshop, room of mechanization and autoimmunization, electric loader-piler workshop, consumer goods workshop.
So, by 1990 the plant and SDB represented real power of manufacture and design in the field of electric transport with the general production capacity approximately 100 million dollars a year.
Delegations of experts - electric manufacturers from Belgium, Czechoslovakia, Germany, Yugoslavia, Russia visited the plant. Experts of the plant and special design bureau also visited foreign countries for acquaintance with achievements of electric transport manufacture in these countries, and for rendering assistance in commissioning of plant’s production exported to those countries.
At the present time Zurab Givievich Tsintsadze is the general director of the plant, the former worker of the plant and the successful businessman who was able to recover the manufacture after a short "crisis". So, in 2000 the plant in the shortest terms designed and engineered a new electric locomotive of 4E1 series. It is a special electric locomotive which, having only four axles, is 25% more powerful than six-axle most popular electric locomotives VL22M.
* * *
Today the need of JSC " Russian railways " and private transit companies in freight electric locomotives constantly raises as a result of deterioration of basic stocks, moral and physical ageing of locomotives, and at the same time constant growth of transportation volumes. We hope, that the priority will be given to joint-stock company "Elmavalmshenebeli" which possesses technical and intellectual potential supported by glorious traditions of Tbilisi electric locomotive engineers.